We've had a lot of extra discussion in our house in the past few months about Ryan's grandfather, Grandpa Tuinstra. I guess mostly fueled by the fact that our newest nephew, Parker, was born on Grandpa's birthday and even got his middle name from him... and the fact that Parker looks remarkably like Grandpa, which reminded us that RYAN looks EXACTLY like Grandpa's wedding picture... you get the idea. And over our annual Christmas trip to Michigan, we got to see Grandpa. And the discussions continued, especially after our visit, as we were Even-More-Than-Usual impressed with the fact that so much of Ryan's Christian Heritage came directly through this man. Which really gets to you soul-searching when you wonder if YOUR own grandkids will be able to say the same about you??? See what I mean? Discussions.
I was looking up verses this morning for "Endure". I guess I felt like I needed some encouragement along those lines, but I thought it was more like "don't give up... stay strong... keep going..." kind of encouragement I needed. Funny how God has other ideas for what I REALLY need. But when I got to this verse, my mind went to the above picture, and got me thinking about Grandpa again...
Your faithfulness continues through all generations,
you established the earth, and it endures.
Psalm 119:90
Even when I am old and gray,
do not forsake me, my God,
till I declare your power to the next generation,
your mighty acts to all who are to come.
Psalm 71:18
And apparently THAT was the encouragement I really needed for today.
This picture is from our visit with Grandpa a few weeks ago... we were all around the room at the nursing home, singing him Christmas songs... I was snapping pictures and glanced down to see Carly singing her heart out, which wasn't so surprising... but what REALLY made me catch my breath was seeing her Great Grandpa watching her. It's a sweet memory for me, and a very poignant reminder to follow his example to our kids, and THEIR kids. What a Gift he has shared with his family, right?!

2 comments:
it was hard for me this year because I really think that was his last Christmas....but it is so true that he has left us a great gift and hopefully we can leave that same gift for our grandkids :) Love that picture...could you photoshop each of my kids in the place of Carly, so I can have one too ????
I love this. What a blessing that you and Ryan are thinking of your future generations. It's not just about the here and now, is it?
Post a Comment