Tuesday, August 18, 2009

08.04.09




08.04.09
Skagway


Ryan got up at 7am because he desperately wanted to go for a RUN in Alaska. Got to admire the boy's commitment. The kids and I stayed behind to enjoy another Room Service breakfast. Mmmmm. Once he was back (he loved every minute of his trek!), we got ready for the day and headed out to explore Skagway, Alaska.


The ship docked about a mile from the town, 

so we all enjoyed a leisurely walk in (emphasis on the LEISURELY here) and did a little shopping. Ryan got a very nice winter jacket for $20, which will come in handy when we go to Michigan every Christmas. 

We also were able to watch a seal playing near another ship, catching fish.

We headed back to the ship to drop off our purchases and eat lunch. I had scheduled us for a Train Ride at 12:45pm (I would like to add that since I booked it ONLINE prior to leaving Tampa, we were able to save $25 EACH over the price the boat was charging for the exact same excursion... I know, Clever Girl). We lingered a little TOO long over lunch, and suddenly realized it was almost time for our train! Remember when I said the town was about a mile away? And remember when I said that perhaps trips to the treadmills was unnecessary since we were RUNNING everywhere in the ports? Well, we basically race walked to the train! BUT, we made it on time!

The White Pass Railway is pretty amazing... 3 hour train ride that follows the route the 1898 Gold Diggers took. Incredible scenery. 

And it was about 75 degrees in Skagway when we were there! Must admit, inside the train was a little TOO warm, but they don't have AC since you normally would NEVER need that in Alaska.


We were able to go out on the platforms at the front and back of each railway car, and that was really fun, too. When we reached the summit, the train stopped, we flipped the seats over and traded sides with the people across the aisle from us, and the train went into reverse and headed back down the mountains. Pretty cool. Ben and Carly really enjoyed this experience (as we all did!) even though Ben did fall asleep at one point... too many late nights for my boy!






Back in town, we finished up our shopping, then walked SLOWLY back to the ship! Once we arrived in our room, we were AGAIN surprised that ALEX (of "Here's Alex" fame) had made fun little arrangements of the kids stuffed animals... but you will have to wait to see his creations in a separate post... they will be much more fun ALL together!


Went to dinner in the dining room with our usual Table for Six and our waiters... Carly ordered french fries and fettucini alfredo (umm, AGAIN). 

Fist bumpin' Grandma who ALSO ordered the F. A. ~ you know, because Girls Rock.

Kids took off for KC, and Mom and Dad and I went to see the "Motor City" show... Ryan was SUPPOSED to join us, but he SAYS they wouldn't let him in once it started. I am somewhat suspicious of this claim as he was going to be late so he could "check" the score of the Rays game on the XM radio he brought with him. The 3 of us enjoyed the DISCO music.


We headed out to the deck to catch some more incredible Alaska scenery as we were pulling out of Skagway, 

maneuvering through the Inside Passage and heading towards the Tracy Arm Fjord, our destination for the next day. We saw this VERY COOL hanging glacier...

you can see it in the center of the mountains... and here's  a closeup:

Got the kids from KC and settled in to enjoy a "Movie Under the Stars" (MUTS) feature: Monsters Vs. Aliens. The kids had been wanting to see this for a while!

Carly went in the spa during the beginning of the movie, then I got her changed into warm clothes and we snuggled down on the pool chairs (they cover them with fleece pads!) and blankets. 

They also pop popcorn for the movie, so we were all loving that. Until ALMOST all of us fell asleep! Remember, we'd had a LONG day! Took off for bed... NO TROUBLE sleeping at night, that's for sure!

3 comments:

Laurie said...

Looks so familiar and fun. Thanks for bringing back the memories. Your pictures are beautiful.

Rochel said...

I don't check your blog for like 2 minutes, and there's all THIS! I'm all caught up, though :) Love seeing the pictures.

Sue said...

Almost feels like I'm taking the trip with you... I'll have to show Eric. He'll want to go!