Our biggest news of the week was Ryan's birthday, last Friday! Of course, we celebrated all week, as usual! He doesn't love cake (HOW?) so I always make him Apple Pie... actually, I will be making another one today! Apparently we are STILL celebrating his birthday! Stupidly, while Ben was enjoying his pie, I asked him if it was good... yes. "Better than Auntie Laurie's?".... long pause. Nervous look at his Dad. Asperger's wins out. "Ummm, not really." That's what I get for asking, right? Duh. NOBODY's apple pie is better than my sisters. I did everything SHE did, too, all the way down to NOT measuring ANYTHING (because we all know I can't bake or cook if there is REAL measuring involved!), but still... Don't get me wrong, it was yummy, and Ryan certainly had NO complaints. But it wasn't Laurie's Pie. Oh well.... Ben loved his visit LAST FALL to Laurie's in New Hampshire where he got to pick apples, then go home and make a pie with the Master.
Photo from September 2008....
On Friday, we went to.... well, lets see if you can guess. For Ryan's "Birthday Dinner". My brother, Steve, met us there, which was super fun to see him. Ben and Carly were particularly pleased to see him, and drill him about his life. They would make Grammy proud, the information they were pulling out of him! He's doing really well, in case anyone is wondering.
Pretty sure Ryan had a nice, relaxing birthday and weekend.... I was at work for the bulk of it. They got a new game for the Wii, which apparently is VERY fun. (Wii Resort Sports).
The only other thing to share (to bring this up to date) would be that the weather is FINALLY cooler... we've been suffering in 95 degree heat for MONTHS and are finally in the 70's which makes life so much nicer.
And a funny story from today to share with you... the above picture is actually BEN when he was 22 months old, and "petting" Miggy, who then resided at Grandma's house in Michigan. This would be why Miggy got to come and live with US, because he's so tolerant of little kids. I believe Ben had been "petting" him for about 20 minutes here. And by "petting", I mean, POUNDING on him. Under Grandma's supervision. ANYHOW, this morning, during Eli's visit, I was, of course, allowing him the same liberties with Miggy. He's declawed (Miggy, not Eli), so it seemed pretty safe. Eli decided he was tired and laid his head right down on Miggy with his thumb in his mouth (Eli's thumb, not Miggy's... because Miggy doesn't really have thumbs, I guess). So cute, Must-Get-Camera. After a few shots, (none of which came out great) Miggy decided, "I've been doing this for 10 years, I-Think-Not" and HISSED at Eli (who I QUICKLY grabbed away from the Cat... because I am a nice Auntie). Blah, Blah, Blah... Eli took a nap (in his pack-n-play, not on Miggy) and when he got up, I decided "Lets go see Miggy again" because Eli was calling him (so cute, Eli calling the kitties...)
What does my little darling Pumpkin Nephew do as soon as he gets to Miggy? Carly guessed correctly... can you? Ok, it's too funny to make you wait. He HISSED at him!!!! (Eli, not Miggy!) Yup, that really cracked me up. Did NOT know Eli could hiss. So funny!
One last Overheard Conversation to share:
Ben: Did you know you can get diseases from mosquitoes?
Me: yup, Malaria, right? but that's really in Africa and there's medicine for that.... (hey, he really worries about these things!)
Ryan: hey, Daddy's sister had malaria once.
Ben: Really? (in the She's-So-Famous-And-Lucky awe inspired voice) Which one?
Ryan: The Funny One.
Ben: Aunt Rochel?
Ryan: no.... The Smart One.
Ben: Aunt Renae?
Ryan: Which one is The Pretty One?
Ben: AAGGGGGGGggghghghghhhhhhh, I don't know! I don't know! I don't know!!!
It would seem, we are The Perfect Shade of Yellow today....
5 comments:
Your story of the malaria thing would have been REALLY funny if it ended with ... "Who's the pretty one?" ... "Auntie Tracy of course". You could go back and edit it and REALLY make me happy!
I'm glad Ben thinks I'm the funny one :) Eli hasn't hissed at me yet...
... Rochel, did you try hissing at HIM first? You are welcome to "borrow" Miggy for a few days to solicit such a response:)
I would have loved to be there to see Eli hiss and to see Miggy's expression when he did! Awesome. He's a smart boy. Funny story about the mosquitoes. Oh, and if you make pie, you really shouldn't measure but make sure you estimate more and not less sugar/brown sugar. That's what makes a good pie, that and the apples used! I like using cortlands best. Thanks for the vote of confidence Ben!
Oh sure! I get invited to Tijuana Flats, but where is my pie? I will tell Mom you are bringing one on the 30th!
Post a Comment