Ah... Hartford, Connecticut. Very impressively large Capitol Building. With an underground walkway system leading to more offices.
And proudly displaying their replica of the Liberty Bell. Each Capitol was given one cast from the same mold as the original. Most have cleverly PAINTED on the crack that is only in the original (you know, in Pennsylvania. You saw National Treasure, right?)
The "new" part of the capitol...
Back in the original building, The Genius of Connecticut protects the rotunda.
A tree trunk that has been preserved and put on display as it sports a cannon ball from the Civil War.
The Hall of Flags
Click on the picture below so you can read about Layfayette's very cool bed...
Inside the massive House of Representatives. We loved all the beautiful stained glass windows and light fixtures.
Interior of the Dome...
Look closely at the white portion and you can see the spiral staircase leading to the outside. My boys REALLY wanted to climb up there... not allowed. Rats.
The Senate
The Charter Oak Chair... also known as the Wishing Chair...
... and not just because Little McGregor's made wishes there...
... they weren't the only Wishers this day! I'm pretty certain Ben was Wishing the tour would be over soon!
Back in the "New Part"... we loved the floor!!!
Optical Illusion!
You know how we are about the historical details!
Beautiful flowers and grounds...
Amazingly beautiful building!
Notice the statues...
... and the empty spaces. For Future Famous People.
... or according to Carly, "A statue of Carly!"
The view from the side...
...and back
... and Ben so appropriately rolling down the back lawn of the Capitol Building. I'd say we can't take these kids anywhere, but I'm pretty sure I told him he could!
... and the newest McGregor obsession. Being Statues. All you need is an empty slab of concrete... You will be seeing this again. Note Ben's Sonic pose. Nice.
There was a small museum in the Supreme Court building (behind the statues)... and I felt pretty old when I realized that I used to have that curling iron (although, it was brown, not yellow!), the hair dryer, makeup mirror, and can opener. Grrrrrr.
1 comment:
love seeing the capitals. I am getting excited for when we do our state trips one of these years. We are going to Toledo this year.....so that counts for Ohio. We are going to have to pick up the pace here one of these years. thanks for sharing. love the sonic pose too!!
Post a Comment