Saturday, March 12, 2011
Unseen Header
Last month, I spent a Saturday with my sisters and my mom. We went over to my Uncle's house after he had passed away and cleared out his belongings. My mind was just reeling the whole time as we put shirts and pants into trash bags to take to Good Will. I just couldn't get over the irony of it... stuff is just nothing. Of course I've always known that. But to have a visual reminder... and I was sweetly amazed by the "things" an old man kept. It was precious little. His room was really organized and neat. Minimal. But there were a few "Dad" plaques his son had given him... pictures of me and my sisters families from old Christmas cards... a large stack of valentines and birthday cards from his girlfriend of 20 years... the small new testament encased in olive wood my mom had given him decades ago.
I was reading this verse (above) this past week... thinking about how very temporary our life on earth is. Certainly, in light of eternity, it's hardly even a drop in the bucket, and we get all concerned over how many years we might get... we think someone who got to live to be 90 "had a good long life". And it's true, it's what we can comprehend because we are here, and we are human. It puts "your life" into a whole different perspective... the things we allow to bother us, that we go on and on and on about... what we get upset about... who hurts our feelings... what we think we need... what tangible objects we want to provide for our children... does it REALLY matter?
Lent is again upon us. We appreciate it. Just like we enjoy the Advent Season and taking time to slow down and focus on Christ being born... we appreciate 40 days of FOCUS on Christ dying for us and His resurrection. Our chosen sacrifice for Lent is not even a small glimmer of His sacrifice for us. And it's been since Wednesday, and I've already COMPLAINED about a million times about it! You'll be happy to know that each time I complain, a "little voice" in my head says, "Really? It's hard for you? Really?"
... so I came upon this verse. And backed up to read a little more. The backed up to read the whole chapter, which was really good, too. I had a "catch my breath moment" over verse 17... our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. Momentary Troubles. Seriously, the next time I am faced with something that troubles me, I need to remind myself it's MOMENTARY. You know, sometimes when I'm reading the Bible, I have to remind myself, "This is YOUR God speaking to YOU... He knows what you need to hear" and for real, when I put it like that for myself, it really is like my own father offering me incouragement. What a picture.
Speaking of pictures... took this picture when we were almost to Ryan's parents house this past Christmas. We were just a few miles from their house, after driving for 2 days, and I made Ryan stop the car so I could take a picture of the sunset! I even responded to a "where are you" text from my sister-in-law, Kristi, that she HAD to go outside and take pictures of the sunset. Hurry! It won't last!
... she sent me back a picture. 2 little boys. Looking out the front door. Waiting for their cousins to arrive at Grandma's House.
It begs the question. What am I waiting for?
Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. 2 Corinthians 4:16-18
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Beautiful, Jen. I am always so touched by your posts, and this one is exceptional. Just for me! :-)
Post a Comment