Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon Relay

Ryan and I had a GREAT weekend WITHOUT the kids, in Orlando!  Of course, in order to "Get" this weekend away, we had to run a 1/2 marathon... but the 13.1 miles were well worth it!

Inaugural year for the Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon, so of course, Ryan was all over that!  They had the option of doing a relay, which meant that Runner #1 (umm, that would be ME!) ran the first 5 miles, and Runner #2 (Sucker, Ryan) ran the last 8 miles.  We actually ran the ".1 mile" together at the handoff station.  VERY FUN being a "running" team... sadly for Ryan, I'm not much of a runner. 

Here are our running bibs... we were waiting to go in to the corrals to start.



And our self portrait... Adorable, I know.  Turns out, we are REALLY bad at self portraits with a cell phone camera.  I did NOT run with my actual camera.  Even though it was mostly walking.  The very fun part of this race was that it STARTED at 10pm!  Then there was a party afterwards at Epcot where they had the Wine and Food Festival open.  We really liked that because all the runners were out together, just kind of hanging out (you could get tickets for your friends and family, too... but we were there by ourselves).  Usually when we've done Disney races, everyone has already flown home by the time we are done!  Hahahaha... not kidding.


I had the distinct pleasure of watching these two spin past me while I was running.  Part of the course I ran went past the 6 mile marker (when I was near the 2 mile marker) and they were on the 6 mile side of it... really moving watching the wheelchair competetors leading a pack of runners.  It is just amazing to see, especially if you've ever tried to propel a wheelchair for any length of time.  It's not easy.  It also made me thankful to be able to run, even though I really stink at it!!!  I snuck a picture of them at the after party.  They were discussing their times (yeah, 1 hour 22 minutes!)


Ryan, just coming across the finish line and entering Epcot...  we both got medals:)



Our time was WAY BETTER than we thought it would be (remember: I'm no runner!)

We finished 482 out of 586 teams and our total time was: 2:55:27  (Transition Time:1:43)
my time was  1:12:31 and Ryan did his 8 miles in 1:41:14.  I was all proud of myself because that was 2 and 1/2 minutes faster than my marathon 5 mile marker time:) 



The day of the race, we spent the morning at the Florida Mall which probably sounds boring, but it was entertaining... they have an M&M store and we were very impressed with the giant tubes of candy!


We were, however, QUITE disappointed that they did not sell PRETZEL M&M's there!!!


Also, the night before, we went to Epcot just to eat dinner... we were really living on the edge and ate Fish and Chips in England.  They were REALLY good, though:) 


2 comments:

Mother of three said...

sounds like so much fun!

Steve said...

What? No credit given to the kidsitter? RUDENESS!!!!