So this is my view for the next few weeks... from my couch. And a nice view of my Florida Orthopaedic Institute Range of Motion Walking Cast Boot. *sigh*
Long story short... the kids and I were in a car accident on Sunday. After church, Ryan had gone to get his hair cut and I took the kids to Sam's Club with me. We were driving along on a local highway and were suddenly merged onto by another driver in the lane beside us. He seemed to think we must have been in his Blind Spot... I only know that he hit the front passenger side of my car. Hard. And in that instant of realizing he was going to hit us and airbags opening and Ben screaming all I could think is "MY KIDS ARE IN THE CAR!!!!" and I hit the brakes with just about every ounce of my being. And broke my foot. I praise God with every twinge of pain and annoyance that Ben and Carly are PERFECTLY FINE. It is not lost of me the miracle of that. We are very, very blessed.
We are especially blessed in our friends and family. Within moments of this happening, a family from our church stopped to help us... I have never been so happy to see Shelby Dubois in my life. She never looked so beautiful to me as she did appearing over the door of my smashed car, so calmly telling me everything was going to be ok. Talking to Ben and Carly as if it were just another day on the side of the road, keeping them calm. Finding an inhaler in my disaster of a car. Her and her mom were so helpful and I never want to forget that. Many people from our church stopped to see us, helped call Rochel who was able to find Ryan (his cell phone was off) and just take care of us in a very crazy hour of need. We are so blessed.
I've spent most of the week thinking. Trying to avoid the obvious "What if..." thoughts, but concentrating on God's Timing and Plan for us. It's incredible to me to realize how many NOT SO RANDOM things had to line up for this accident to occur. I mean, bizarre, out of the ordinary stuff that happened even 2 weeks prior to Sunday that had an impact on timing. Just little things, like 2 weeks ago shopping with Ryan at Sam's... the line being long which led to him checking out without me, but using MY Sam's card, which then ended up in HIS wallet, which meant that it WASN'T in MY wallet, which is why we left Sam's early on Sunday without shopping, and how we ended up leaving early and getting hit... reasons why we ended up NOT driving together to church.... Ryan's special music day getting switched and other seemingly random things like this.
Life seems so random to us, but it is NOT random to God. He puts us where He wants us to be. He showed me His protection on Sunday, but He also made it quite clear to me that this was His plan. There has been a Still Small Voice in my head these past days whispering, "watch what I'm going to do..." and so far, it has been pretty amazing.
Before Sunday, I was having a pretty crappy week. I was feeling hurt and unloved and misunderstood. And in one afternoon, I was overwhelmed by people loving me, caring about me, trying to help me... just amazing. So many people have called us, emailed us, visited, brought over meals, ordered food, offered to help do various things... it was just what I needed. We've never really been in a position where we NEEDED help, and let me tell you ~ I hate needing it, but I sure have felt loved and cared for!!! Even at my job, everyone has been so kind and helped make arrangements for the time I will have to be off work. Crashing my car and breaking my foot was apparently just what I needed.
When I went for my follow up doctor visit on Monday, he had my xray's up on the computer screen... of course I snapped a picture with my cell phone before he came into the room. You can see my broken bone if you look at the bone on the bottom... it's supposed to be long and in one piece, like the ones above it. That's my fifth metatarsal.
Another seemingly random thing I'm am so thankful for is Ben's reaction to the accident. He has been so fine! Just OK about everything and acting so grown up and calm. He has been trying to take care of me and helps me out when he can. I'm so very thankful because he certainly could have gone the other way! I will admit that he DID say, "Man! I love that you broke your foot! We've had GREAT meals all week! Well.... you know what I mean!" He's been enjoying all the food and treats that have made their way through our door. Punk. He has also been enjoying playing with my crutches...
My parents brought me roses on Sunday:) They also picked Ben and Carly up at my friend Debbie's house (She had taken them home for me when we were still on the side of the road so that Ryan could get me to the hospital and so they wouldn't be so worried! What a huge help!) and came over and made dinner for us on Sunday night. My friend Diane brought me daisies the next day, too!
SO! This is how I'm getting around these days... Walker. Which I'm VERY thankful for, because it turns out I'm REALLY bad on crutches, and this contraption is MUCH faster and easier. My mom's friend lent it to her, and I'm borrowing it now... so THANK YOU SUSAN! It sure makes hopping around easier, and well, SAFER. I can even skate around on it if I get really lazy.
And Carly. She's wonderfully fine, too. Her usual dramatic self... she now has a "Story" to accompany the theatrics. She's has been trying to get to stay home from school so she can help me out. I do think it would be very convenient, but alas, school is important! I'm so thankful they only have 2 more weeks. I tell you, if you have to be laid up, at least my peeps will be home with me very soon which will make getting around even easier.
Carly has been decorating my Couch for me...
And my sweet Jetta. *Sigh* Totaled. We sure had a lot of fun memories in this car. I will admit that when the adjuster called me today to tell me it was for sure a complete loss, I started to cry. Which is so silly... It just made me feel sad. This little car has taken us all over the country to see all the people we love so much. After the accident, Carly kept telling everyone that she sure hoped they found our "VW" sign from the front of it so they could glue it back on. I'm going to ask for it at the salvage yard tomorrow... Perhaps we could make some Couch Art out of it!






No comments:
Post a Comment