Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Perfect Shade of Yellow


My sister calls it The Sweet Spot, my cousin, The Comfort Zone... today I have come to think of it as The Perfect Shade of Yellow. Ever tried to paint a room Yellow? I've decided it's the hardest shade to paint. Usually you see it in someone's house and think, "Love that color! Where did you get it?" Only to "reproduce it" in your own Charming Living Room and it looks horrible? It's so dependent on the lighting, the time of day, the accessories, your mood, even! Isn't Life like that sometimes?

We are trying to paint our living room... long story short, our couch is old, it finally broke ENOUGH for Ryan to be annoyed by it (Keep in mind that I've been annoyed and have refused to sit on it for about a year now), and we purchased a new one last weekend. It's being delivered Saturday. And seeing how all the furniture will be out of the way this week, perfect time to paint ~ since we haven't for over 9 years. Except it is a crazy busy week and I STILL hadn't settled on a color, although I've been insisting on "Gold-ish". I've been casually looking since we painted the dining room. Six years ago. In my Spare Time this week, I've been running back and forth to Lowe's, purchasing tiny cans of sample paint and coming up wrong every time. Too dark, too mustardy, too lemony, too beige, too What-Is-THAT-Color?!?!?!

Today was my Second-To-Last-Trip-To-Lowe's-For-Yellow-Paint. (I do need to return to purchase a FULL sized gallon, as the Half Pint I own will not cover the WHOLE living room). Did I find The Perfect Shade of Yellow? Probably not. But I had this really great MOMENT while I was painting the patch of the ONE shade (yes, you are reading about my MOMENT here). If you know me at all, you know I am swayed and transformed by MOMENTS. And when I make a decision based on THAT, it ain't going anywhere... hey, it's how I got rid of my bangs. Umm, this MOMENT is somewhat more Spiritual, I must say. ANYWAYS, I'm painting and thinking the color is GREAT. Right now. At 3:23pm. With one lamp on. Sun shining. Day Light Savings Time. Half Asleep (worked last night!), and Minimal Coffee... Blue Icee, however (mmmmmm). I put the paint brush down and think to myself, I'll see how it is in the morning.

(enter MOMENT)

I don't care how it is in the morning. Sometimes I'm going to be OK with the color, other times I'm going to wonder what I was thinking, and why I didn't ask for 5 more squirts of white (You know, MY control of the situation!). Most days I won't even notice it, or remember when I painted it that color. But sometimes I'm going to think it's Perfect. But through all that, it is still the same color. It doesn't change... we do. Our perspectives are constantly shifting. Altered by moods, circumstances, sleep, and sunlight:)

Then I went for a run. Ha. And pondered on this MOMENT. I "randomly" kept thinking about Caroline being born: Labor going great. God is good. She's ready to be delivered after a mere 3 hours of epidural protected labor:) God is good. One push. God is good. Her heart completely stopped beating. God is good. Emergency C-section. God is good. Within a minutes time, Caroline enters the world, with a beating heart. God is good. What if she hadn't? He. Is. Still. God.... GOOD. He's the same. Always.

Now you see why I need to paint my walls THAT color. I HAVE to have a visual reminder DAILY of this. There are going to be so many times in our lives that I NEED to remember that God is still God. Merciful and Loving. Good. The Perfect Shade of Yellow. And yes, I'm willing to paint my living room to make sure I get the visual. Daily. And if I'm not sure about the color in the morning (you know, it doesn't feel right to me) I can remind myself, "Just wait until 3:23pm!! Because Antelope-Hide-with-10-squirts-of-white-to-a-half-pint ROCKS at 3:23pm!"

6 comments:

Sue said...

I'm simply amused that your walls will be the color of a deer's bum.

Tracy said...

Talk about bringing you back to a moment in a moment (and, for the record, you made me cry) ... haven't thought about the "what if" in, oh, ever so long. God is good ... in the moments of sweetness and in the moments when we HAVE to rest in Him to make it one more step. Maybe since you sort of made up the color Lowe's would let you name it ... and, which shade of gold was the winner?

Laurie said...

And in the morning when you are totally annoyed with the color because it is morning, you haven't had your coffee, you worked all night, its daylight savings time, and the couch isn't the color you thought; then you'll realize that although GOD never changes, but we always do... and you'll start the process all over. Now isn't that something to look forward to. ;)
And, after you get used to it because after 2 weeks, you still can't find that perfect color, you'll realize that you really do like the color and let it go. I really didn't miss your analogy but I'm enjoying seeing your thought process in writing.

Al & Judy Melton said...

so you are only going to allow friends and family in your family at 3:23 pm right?

Al & Judy Melton said...

ok that second "family" was supposed to be living room! looks more like the walls of Jerusalem though... I approve!

Steve said...

Personally, I think that you should leave it like it is, or add more spots of different colors, cause then no matter what time it is you can always find a spot on your wall to stare at and be happy!