Thursday, February 11, 2010
Determination
Ben participated in a "Last Chance" Swim Meet in Clearwater last weekend... as in, Last Chance to qualify for Junior Olympics. You will remember that Ben has a JO cut time for his 50Free race, but it is qualifying as a 10 year old, and you must still be 10 when you compete at the Junior Olympics... and he "Ages Up" tomorrow! And JO is NEXT WEEKEND. Rats. He would have to qualify as an 11 year old to participate next weekend, which would mean cutting a full 3 seconds off his race. While he did not do that at this meet, we saw something really spectacular in him this time. Determination.
I've watched him swim for a long time. We've told both Ben and Carly that all we ask for is that they do their best. JO cuts aren't important if you didn't do your absolute best. We try to impress on them that no matter what they are doing, God calls us to do it to the best of our ability, to glorify Him. Even swimming! It's a delicate balance (for US!!) when our Human Parenting wants to see them WIN! and we know we need to encourage their hearts in the direction of Who they are doing all things for.
So, Ben's in the middle of his 50free race. And his Best time is .03 seconds (got that??? POINT ZERO THREE) over the achievment of an "A Time" and my Mama's heart is pounding and Ryan couldn't watch (really, he had to keep putting his head down and stare at the floor) and no kidding, all of a sudden I noticed the most amazing thing: He was determined. He was locked in. He was doing his BEST. I was hundreds of feet away, in a balcony looking down over Lane One, and I could recognize it in his arm movements, his kick, everything. I swear my heart was going to explode. It was awesome. That has to be how God feels about us when we are doing what He wants. He's our Heavenly Father, and loves us, His little children. I can envision Him looking down over the "balcony" with His heart-about-to-burst-with-excitement to watch us "get it". The question is, what have I done to make Him feel that way? Hmmmm.
Back to Ben, and away from hard questions I'm too chicken to answer... THIS is what DETERMINATION looks like. Love it.
And his time...
He's in Lane One... so technically "last place" and he was 1/2 a second over his Best time... but I think he learned a way-more-valuable lesson. He learned what REALLY doing his best FEELS like. He was proud of himself for that. We were... well, you know. I'm still smiling with pleasure over that race. And I'm thankful for yet-another-visual of my relationship with God. And a goal... to make Him smile with pleasure, just like this:)
Now, before you feel all "How did Ben get LAST PLACE!?!?!?" (I know, right???!!) He was the youngest in that heat and was racing against much older boys:) Spoken like Ben's Mama, I know.
Next race... and another milestone... his 50 Fly. If you clicked on the link above, then you were reminded about his DQ's for the butterfly. Check out his amazing form now:
Obviously, pretty proud of that... Even arms, just exciting to watch. He was 1/2 second over his Best time, but form was so much better, so we are really on the right track. He has worked so hard!
Chatting it up with the Coach, and reviewing his Fly...
Last race of the night... 100 Free.
Carly watching her Big Brother rocking it... He's in the lane she's standing in front of...
Lane Six... 3rd place. And a full SIX seconds off his Best time... That is amazing! Oh, and he went from a B time, to a BB time:) Very Exciting! Again, swimming with older boys.
Very fun night for all of us!!!
Getting ready to take off during warm ups...
Beautiful dive!
Fun picture of my Dad! We were pretty happy to have my parents and Tracy and Torrey along for the fun...
Mom hanging out, waiting for Ben's race to start... The Clearwater pool is a pretty nice venue. Indoors, which was GREAT since it was a rainy night!
Little Miss was playing "Scrabble" with another little boy... nice words she was making.
Torrey Elisabeth!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Awesome job, Ben!
Hey, I figured out how to do this and got a google account so Now i can post a comment. I think. We thing Ben is great and we are so bummed that we can't be there. Mom
Post a Comment