Sunday, June 20, 2010

Finally a new header...

I've been wanting to make this header for a while.  I was really struggling with finding a verse that was "it" for me, at that moment.  I LOVE this picture of Ryan and the kids heading into Tropicana Field.  If there ever was a picture that showed our identity as a family, I believe THIS would be it.  Goes without saying that we are huge Rays fans.  Duh.  But it isn't a team or a game that we are REALLY fans of.  It's the time we spend together.  I'm really, really thankful for that.  When we go to games, or watch at home, we are talking to the kids and interacting with them... Ryan is teaching them all kinds of stuff and patiently answering their endless questions.  We are fooling around and having fun.  And winning Chicken Dance Off's for our section. 

I love this picture, REGARDLESS of where they are going... Ryan leading his kids.  It is what he does best.  In all areas of life.  And behind the disguise of baseball, he leads them closer to Christ.  By instructing, and by being an example.  By being present.  By using Teachable Moments.  Happy Father's Day, Baby!  You are amazing.

And the verse.  First, let me say that my all time favorite song HAS to be Casting Crowns, "Who am I".

Who am I?
That the Lord of all the earth,
Would care to know my name,
Would care to feel my hurt.

Who am I?
That the bright and morning star,
Would choose to light the way,
For my ever wandering heart.

Not because of who I am,
But because of what you've done.
Not because of what I've done,
But because of who you are.

I am a flower quickly fading,
Here today and gone tomorrow,
A wave tossed in the ocean,
A vapor in the wind.
Still you hear me when I'm calling,
Lord, you catch me when I'm falling,
And you've told me who I am.
I am yours.

I am yours.

Who am I?
That the eyes that see my sin
Would look on me with love
And watch me rise again.
Who am I?
That the voice that calmed the sea,
Would call out through the rain,
And calm the storm in me.
Not because of who I am,
But because of what you've done.
Not because of what I've done,
But because of who you are.

I am a flower quickly fading,
Here today and gone tomorrow,
A wave tossed in the ocean,
A vapor in the wind.
Still you hear me when I'm calling,
Lord, you catch me when I'm falling,
And you've told me who I am.
I am yours.

Whom shall I fear

Whom shall I fear

I am yours..

I am yours..

See?  Favorite.  Every part of it.  So.  Somehow, not so randomly (I'm sure), I stumbled across this passage in 2 Samuel 7... God telling David he's going to bless his family, his son gets to build the temple... his family would endure forever (through Christ).  The above verse starts David's response back to Him.  I hardly made it past that verse!  It just really stuck in my head and I kept thinking it... Who are we that we have this great family, and have been blessed so much???  So here it is.  The best best best part, (other than the obvious!) of this whole 2 Samuel 7 business?  Happened right before David's famous Bathsheba Incident.  You know, which God already knew about.  And chose to bless him anyways.  The amount of times (and many more to come!) that I fail Him miserably?  I need to remember that I am nothing.  He is not.  He chose to love me anyways

Who am I, indeed.

No comments: