Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Georgia State Capitol




Atlanta, Georgia... we modified our vacation, somewhat, due to the Incident.  We still wanted to get our capitol visits in, if possible, so we started off with Georgia.  This was a few weeks ago, and I was hobbling around with the crutches (not so well, I might add) so my memories are slightly skewed by Ow... ow.... ouch... ANYWAYS, as usual, beautiful building.  We also enjoyed driving in off the highway and seeing all the Olympic Rings everywhere, left over from 1996.  Kind of fun.




Ryan took pictures (you know, can't do that so well with crutches)... loved the staircases.



Many people were waiting to get in to see the Governor, who happened to be there for Scheduled Photo Shoots.  By "many people" I mean, Many Beauty Queen People.  It was apparently pageant day at the capitol.  All wearing their crowns and sashes.






There were many old flags on display and there was even a special room for some of them that was light and climate controlled.  Many were from the early colonies and Civil War...



Replica of the Lady on the dome.  Ryan really loved this display, at least I think he did since there were about 50 pictures of it.   I shouldn't tease him, though... it was pretty cool.


Particularly the helicopter pictures of her being removed and returned to the dome once her renovations were completed.


Coolest model ever... model of the dome, complete with interior staircases.  Most capitols no longer allow non-employee people up into the dome due to the rickety staircases and modern fire codes, so it was really cool to see this model.




The House



Shout out to anesthesia...




The Senate Chambers



Yeah for Margaret Mitchell.  And Boo to Carly for wanting to be in the picture with me, then saying, "Wait, what was gone with the wind?  No really, what was gone?"  Just another reason why I think she might not be my daughter.  She got a little nervous when I handed her my SACRED hard back copy (thanks SUE!) as summer reading. 



Quick snapshot of the Disrespectful McGregor Children.  And Jimmy Carter.


Note the Lady.


This is EXACTLY why I loved Ryan taking pictures!  Especially when I showed it to him and said, "Really, Ryan?!!" and he tried to tell me he did Shadow Man on purpose.  It might make it into my Favorite Vacation Pictures File.



Carly took our picture... I guess we BARELY made it in the picture, which was probably better since I was REALLY not feeling good by this point and as I recall, quite cranky:)

We hope you have enjoyed this Capitol Tour... be warned:  There are 4 more to come from this vacation.

1 comment:

Rochel said...

so impressed that you still went to capitols in you "condition' :) love the comment by Carly. she cracks me right up. gonna try the pillow case thing... ;)