Monday, July 27, 2009

It tastes like chicken because it IS chicken

I had to focus on something mildly entertaining to take my mind off Stellan. PLEASE keep praying for this cutie. And Kate. And I've also added a button on the left for my father's newest mission trip which starts on Friday. Click the buttons, and you will be linked to the blogs that can give you more information and specifics for praying...


... so Ryan took Ben up to camp for the afternoon. We didn't sign up for our church camp this year because of our QUICKLY coming vacation... a fact Ben and Carly frequently remind us about. Not getting to go to camp. Well, AND our vacation. We hear it all. Anyways, Carly stayed home because she has the sniffles, and I think we are all agreed that I have become a FREAK about someone getting sick prior to, or ON our year-long-planned-out vacation.

To appease my little Princess, who was somewhat disappointed to have to lay on the couch, I introduced her to the most AMAZING TV network. Her words. Not mine. The Food Network. Where you can watch people cook food. I keep hearing from friends that it's a really helpful network. And thought perhaps I could learn a few things to branch out from the usual frozen chicken patties and well, the 3 crock pot meals I have mastered ("oh boy. Pulled Pork. Again" ~ Ben). I went to a Cooking Class our church had a few weeks ago. Really, only because it was at our pastor's wife's house and I hadn't talked to her in a while, and honestly? Hadn't gotten out of the house without the kids for a non-work-outing in a while. Ryan signed me up. And here I thought he was being all sweet and looking out for me. He's really tired of chicken patties. That class was VERY life changing for our family as in it I learned how to make homemade pita chips and CAN'T believe that it was the catalyst that caused my PICKY children (well, Carly's picky, ironically: Ben, not so much) to GOBBLE up hummus!!

Anyways. The Food Network. Carly watched about 2 hours of it (great parenting... but I figured it was like eating an ice cream sundae after you have run 4 miles... the highly educational vacation we will be taking them on will completely off-set the EXCESSIVE hours of TV watching I let slide today). So she's watching and then looks at me in WONDER (after Emeril made CARMEL SAUCE!!!)

"Ummmm, are we allowed to try these things at home?"

Sure, honey. Just as soon as Aunt Rochel comes over again.

Well, the boys are home now and have hunkered down to watch the RAYS game and to enjoy their chicken patties. With Ritz Bits crackers. As a side.

2 comments:

Sue said...

You tell that Little Miss if she has a cooking question, she can always call her Auntie Sue Lagasse (I made caramel sauce for the first time this past holiday season).

Jennifer McGregor said...

and all this time she thought you were cool because your name is "Auntie Sue B. Do B. Do". You are going to blow her mind with this information. she might want to live with you. forever. She's a sucker for caramel sauce. and really. who isn't?