If you are have spent ANY time "here" then you are aware of my fascination with things that are NOT so random. I really do seek them out, and make myself pay attention when they occur. For crying out loud, I changed the name of my blog BECAUSE of it... ha!
*warning... This is ANOTHER "running" story.... and yes, I STILL just stop while "running". I've decided to just embrace it.*
Anyways, another such incident (you know, RANDOM) occurred this week. It made me smile for a good 43 minutes, so I feel the need to share. Plus, I have decided to give up scrapbooking all together, and am just going to get my blog printed at the end of the year. This is something I don't want to forget. This story, not getting my blog printed.
It starts with me running. "Running". It has become a little more than exercise these days, and certainly more of an exercise in focussing on the fact that I CAN run. I know many people that are too sick to leave their home, let alone Run for Fun. Believe me, I am grateful, even when I am contemplating calling Ryan on my cell phone and begging him to come and get me!
ANYWAYS, I decided on Friday, that I would listen to a SERMON while I was out. I'll be honest, Ryan had put it on my ipod for me a good month ago... it was from a Sunday when I was working, and our church is kind enough to send us CD's of the sermon's since Ryan misses 1/2 of them each week doing the Children's program. Turns out, it was from September 13th.
This is the passage...
2 Corinthians 2:5-11 and it's about forgiveness... Which I immediately said to myself, "I don't have anyone to forgive..." and when our pastor, Lou, brought up the fact that YOU might be the one who caused something that needs to be forgiven, I decided that probably didn't apply either. HA! At least nothing came to mind... *Lets just say, if that's not true, feel free to leave a comment... I changed them to be moderated first, so I will call you, THEN delete your comment!!!*So, I believe you get the picture that I am assuming this sermon "doesn't apply" but I figured, Lou's funny, I'll listen anyways. Plus, REALLY tired of my music.
At the start of the sermon, Lou prays this prayer...
"... You have ordained all the words that appear in scripture. But also by your Providence, within history, within time, You have allowed us as a congregation to be in THIS book, at THIS time, and in THESE verses on THIS day... and we are going to assume, Lord, that that is not an accident, but that you have something for us..." of course my ears perked up, he's speaking my language. I did chuckle a little, since I wasn't hearing it live.
It was a great sermon with some fun Beatles references (told you Lou is entertaining!)... then he brought up the fact that "sometimes we need to forgive that person who said those things that were so hurtful..." and how we hold onto our anger... "You know when you are driving in your car alone, and all of a sudden you are having imaginary conversations with someone who's not even there, and you're getting angrier and angrier while driving, and they aren't even THERE!" I nearly tripped. Seriously.
See, this week, someone I LOVE said something that hurt my feelings and rather than just blow it off as them having a bad day (I mean, Ryan DID point out to me that people don't usually TRY to hurt your feelings!!) I really struggled with it all week. I let it make me madder and madder... and it was just so stupid (me being that hurt, not them actually saying what they said...).
It occurred to me I needed to forgive, and probably ask for some forgiveness, too. Then I just couldn't stop thinking about that beginning prayer. How Lou said that God's providence brought this passage to us on this day, which was originally September 13th. I think he should have added in "and on November 13th when Jennifer gets around to listening, that's Your plan, too...". I just love the fact that God uses people to bring to us exactly what we need, when we need it, and usually without them realizing it. It just wasn't RANDOM that "I decided" to listen to that sermon on Friday morning. I love moments when I can see clearly. And nearly trip. Ironic!
... now, if we could just get Lou over for a little Beatles RockBand!
4 comments:
You said "this week" ... soooo I'm thinking that it wasn't me that said something that hurt you (this time) since I've been out of town all week... but just in case it was - Ryan was RIGHT! I don't go around looking for ways to hurt you. But, if I did, Baby, tell me what I did and I will "properly" (British term) apologize and ask you to forgive me! I love you, pa
HA! So funny, Dad! I WAS a little hurt you didn't talk to me all week.
Usually it's ME that says something stupid, so this has been a very good learning experience for me...
and by the way, Ryan is ALWAYS right:)
And, it wasn't so random that you were willing to hear what Lou was saying and ponder over it. I love when an old truth becomes like new again. Funny, forgiveness keeps rearing its head over and over again lately. Never goes out of style and always seems to be needed!
hope it wasn't me!!!
Post a Comment